View our Full-Service Facilities
Hon. James Jackman, Ret.
|After 20 years of presiding over a diverse array of cases, Judge Jackman retired from Orange County Superior Court in July of 2000. Since then, he has received accolades for his ability to effectively resolve disputes as a Mediator, Arbitrator and Private Judge. Attorneys and parties have enjoyed Judge Jackman's friendly, down-to-earth, patient, kind and caring approach to mediation and arbitration. In mediation, he works incredibly hard and perseveres to assist every party with whom he works by guiding them to reach a expeditious and equitable resolution by means of creative and innovative solutions to the obstacles of settlement. In arbitration, his thorough review of submitted materials, sharp, insightful comprehension of the issues, thoughtfulness and ability to keep things moving while allowing attorneys to present their cases has resulted in his reputation for consistently rendering fair, well-reasoned opinions, pleasing plaintiffs and defendants alike. One trial lawyer commented that "Judge Jackman is a wonderful human being who loves what he's doing, and my client and I felt that long before he got our case settled for a healthy seven figure amount." Another attorney said "He effectively encourages settlement in such a way that the parties eventually feel that it represents a glorious achievement, rather than a disappointing compromise."
LEGAL CAREER & PRIOR EXPERIENCE
- Judge, Superior Court, Orange County (1980-00); Presiding Judge Probate (1989-90 & 1993); Presiding Judge Mental Health (1985, 1986 & 1991)
- Court of Appeal Appellate Panel, Orange County Superior Court (1992-93)
- Mayor, City of Orange (1975-76); City Councilman, Orange (1972-76)
- Private General Civil Law Practice, Orange, Orange County (1967-80)
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- J.D., University of Southern California Law Center, Los Angeles (1966)
- B.A., University of California, Los Angeles (1962)
- Member, Executive Board, California Judges Association
- Former Member, Executive Committee, Orange County Superior Court
- Various Court Committee Assignments, including Judicial Rules, Forms & Education
- Orange County Representative, ELAN Committee of Judicial Council, 3 years
- Member, Educational Seminars Committee
ADR EXPERIENCE & SPECIALTIES
- Products Liability
- Wrongful Termination
- Medical/Legal Malpractice
- All types of Personal Injury Matters
ACHIEVEMENTS & AWARDS
- Judge Jackman was faculty at the CJSP Conservatorship, in Probate, Mental Health and Trial Procedure.
- He was also a lecture for the Rutter Group in Probate and Conservatorship, as well as Various Bar Associations, Kiwanis, Rotary and other service clubs.
- Additionally, he sat as Chair for the Judicial Council, Committee on Conservatorships.
- For the Orange County Bar Association, he established the Bridging the Gap Program in Orange County (1968).
HOBBIES & INTERESTS
In his spare time, Judge Jackman enjoys Music, Woodworking, Travel, Skiing and Piano Playing & Flying.
- All of Southern California