View our Full-Service Facilities
Hon. Eli Chernow, Ret.
|Since retiring from the Los Angeles County Superior Court in 1993, Judge Chernow has been serving as an Arbitrator, Mediator and Private Judge, and utilizing his considerable commercial litigation and bench experience to resolve a wide diversity of civil disputes. He is known for his exceptional intelligence and strong understanding of complex matters including family law, environmental issues, real property, commercial and all types of business related disputes. As an Arbitrator, clients praise his no-nonsense, cut-to-the-chase style and his courteous and respectful manner. As a Mediator, clients admire his concern for the parties and their issues, and his effectiveness in discussing their strengths and weaknesses in guiding them to an equitable resolution. As one attorney commented, "Judge Chernow kept the discussions focused, so we stayed on track, never lost sight of the goal to settle, and we settled." Another attorney said, "He let us know how and why we may be missing the other side's issues that may have strong jury appeal."
LEGAL CAREER & PRIOR EXPERIENCE
- Private Dispute Resolution, (Sept. 1993-Present)
- Judge, Superior Court, Los Angeles County (1977-93)
- Assistant to Gov. Edmund G. Brown, Jr., environmental matters (1975-77)
- Assoc. Professor of Law, USC Law Center, for corporations, environmental law and evidence (1972-74)
- Partner, Tuttle & Taylor, Los Angeles, CA, commercial litigation (1965-72)
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- J.D., Harvard Law School (1964); Magna Cum Laude; Editor, Harvard Law Review
- B.S., California Institute of Technology (1961); Major: Mathematics
- Harvard University, Frederick Sheldon Traveling Fellow (1964-65)
- Board of Directors, Association of Business Trial Lawyers (1988-94)
- Member, Family & Juvenile Court Advisory Committee, Judicial Council of California (1993-96)
- Member, Executive Committee, Litigation Section, Los Angeles County Bar Association (1993-96)
- Member, Executive Committee, Family Law Section, Los Angeles County Bar Association (1991-93)
- Member, Executive Committee, Lawyers Conference, Judicial Division of the American Bar Association (1998-Present)
ADR EXPERIENCE & SPECIALTIES
- Family Law
- Personal Injury
- Real Property
- Complex Commercial
ACHIEVEMENTS & AWARDS
- Judge Chernow was the co-author, California Practice Guide: Civil Trial & Evidence, published by the Rutter Group and "Choosing An Expert Witness for Real Estate Appraisal," Beverly Hills Bar Journal (1993)
- Also, he published "Video in the Courtroom - More Than a Talking Head," Litigation, The Journal of the ABA Litigation Section (Fall, 1988)
- Additionally, he was selected by the Los Angeles Daily Journal as one of California's Top Neutrals in 2003.
- In 2007, he was honored as one of the Top Entertainment Mediators selected by The Hollywood Reporter ESQ.
HOBBIES & INTERESTS
In his spare time, Judge Chernow enjoys reading, traveling and theatre.