View our Full-Service Facilities
Darrell A. Forgey, Esq.
|After over 30 years of trial practice and 25 years of court ordered and private dispute resolution, veteran trial lawyer Darrell Forgey is now concentrating on a full time dispute resolution practice. He has mediated or arbitrated over 2,500 cases since 1980 and is available for mediations, arbitrations, settlement conferences and discovery references. Mr. Forgey has extensive experience in cases involving catastrophic personal injury and wrongful death, products and professional liability, employment, business and commercial litigation, governmental entities, construction defect, aviation, real estate, toxic tort and general liability actions. One very prominent plaintiff attorney has commented, “There are only a handful of mediators that I would entrust with the fate of my clients and Mr. Forgey is at the top of the list.” A well known defense lawyer stated “Mr. Forgey has a great temperament and works the cases before him toward a fair resolution. Most importantly, cases mediated using Mr. Forgey as a mediator settle.”
LEGAL CAREER & PRIOR EXPERIENCE
- Full time Arbitrator & Mediator 2006 - present
- Of Counsel, Hurrell & Cantrall, LLP (2006)
- Partner, Forgey & Hurrell, LLP, Specializing in all types of Civil Litigation (2002-2006)
- Partner, Hillsinger & Costanzo; Hillsinger, Forgey, Hurrell & Star (1973-2002)
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- J. D., Loyola Law School, Los Angeles (1973)
- B.A., Political Science, Cal State Northridge, (1965-69); Member, Blue Key National Honor Society (1969)
- President, CAL-ABOTA (largest statewide organization of plaintiff and defense lawyers in the country) Member, National Board of Directors (2005)
- Mediation training, Pepperdine University, Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution (2003, 2005, 2008 & 2011)
- President, California Defense Counsel (2001)
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers, Elected 2001
- President, Los Angeles Chapter, Diplomat of the American Board of Trial Advocates (2000)
- Stanford Law School, National Institute for Trial Advocacy Instructor’s Certificate (1996)
- President, Association of Southern California Defense Counsel (1995)
- Member, Association of Business Trial Lawyers (1995-Present)
- Member, ABA Section of Dispute Resolution; attended ABA Advanced Mediation Training (1995)
- Harvard Law School, Program of Instruction for Lawyers (1994)
- Instructor/ Participant, ABOTA Trial School & ABOTA Masters in Trial Programs (1980-Present)
- Member American Bar Association, California State Bar Association & LACBA (1973-Present)
- Numerous ADR courses completed at Pepperdine University, including the Masters Forum
- Los Angeles County Superior Court ADR Panel & Past member, AAA Arbitration Panel
ADR EXPERIENCE & SPECIALTIES
- Catastrophic Personal Injury and Wrongful Death
- Products and Professional Liability
- Business and Commercial Litigation
- Governmental Entities
- Construction Defect
- Real Estate
- Toxic Tort and General Liability Actions
ACHIEVEMENTS & AWARDS
- Throughout the years, Mr. Forgey has written several articles for a variety of legal publications.
- Presented numerous MCLE seminars and participated on panels for various plaintiff, defense and insurance groups.
- Recognized as a Southern CA “Super Lawyer” by Los Angeles magazine in 2006-2011.
- Selected by the Daily Journal as an "Up and Comer" in the Top Neutral issue in 2009.
- In 2010 and 2011 he was selected as one of California's "Top Neutrals".
HOBBIES & INTERESTS
Mr. Forgey's interests include golf, reading, history and travel. He is also an avid boater, Civil War enthusiast and is a fellow of the Huntington Library in San Marino, California.