View our Full-Service Facilities
Hon. Michael G. Nott, Ret.
Retired Court of Appeal Justice
|Since 2005, after a 20 year distinguished judicial career, Justice Nott has served as a mediator, arbitrator, discovery referee and appellate consultant. As a Superior Court Judge, he sat in the law and motion department, handled civil trials and conducted settlement conferences. While on the Appellate Court, he conducted over 50 settlement conferences with a two thirds success rate. He also authored over 2000 opinions with approximately 150 being published. Prior to his appointment to the bench, he was a litigator with the same firm for almost 20 years. His firm specialized in business litigation, insurance defense and plaintiff mass tort. His knowledge, experience and outstanding work ethic are just a few of the many reasons both sides mutually agree to him as a neutral. His specialty areas include Business/Commercial, Employment, Professional Malpractice, in addition to all types of Tort related matters and cases involving appellate issues. One attorney commented “Justice Nott is a judge in every sense of the word, not only is he extremely knowledgeable on the law and an excellent Jurist, he is a wonderful human being.” Another attorney commented “He is a savvy Jurist who is a quick study and intuitive at sizing up the issues and he knows the law!”
LEGAL CAREER & PRIOR EXPERIENCE
- Justice, Court of Appeal, Second District (1990-05)
- Judge, LA County (1987-90); selected Supervising Judge for South District (Long Beach, 1990)
- Judge, Long Beach Judicial District (1985-87); Elected Presiding Judge (1987)
- Private Law Practice, Vandenberg, Nott, Conway, & Newell, firm specialization in business transaction and litigation, insurance defense work and approximately 700 plaintiff Asbestos cases (1966-85)
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- J.D., University of Southern California Law Center (1965)
- B.A., Occidental College (1962)
- Pepperdine University of Southern California, Mediation Program (2004)
- Los Angeles County Bar Association (1971-Present)
- Long Beach Bar Association (1967-Present), Board of Governors (1972-73)
- Former member, California State Bar Disciplinary Board (1976-85)
- Former member, Long Beach Barristers (1967-75), President (1973)
ADR EXPERIENCE & SPECIALTIES
- Significant Injury
- Complex Commercial
- Employment/workplace disputes
- Professional Malpractice
- Products Liability
- Appellate related matters
ACHIEVEMENTS & AWARDS
- Justice Nott is a former member of the Long Beach Junior Chamber of Commerce and Long Beach Exchange Club, serving many years as an officer and director for each organization.
- In the military, he received the American Honor Spirit Award for being the outstanding trainee among 1,500 men at basic training at Fort Bragg.
- He served in the United States Army Reserve from 1965 to 1971, when he was honorably discharged.
- At age 21, Justice Nott received a 100 mile, 100 ton Ocean Operator License from the United States Coast Guard.
- He maintained that license for 22 years.
HOBBIES & INTERESTS
In his spare time, Justice Nott enjoys golfing, exercising reading, snow skiing and ocean fishing.