View our Full-Service Facilities
Hon. Chris R. Conway, Ret.
|Judge Conway retired from the LA Superior Court's Norwalk Courthouse where he handled law & motion, civil trials and successfully conducted hundreds of MSC’s. He also supervised the probate calendar and was the Supervising Judge for the Southeast District of the Superior Court, County of Los Angeles on two different occasions. In addition, Judge Conway served as a member of the Court’s executive, personnel and budgeting committees. Prior to his appointment, Judge Conway practiced law for 20 years, during which time he represented plaintiffs and insurance carriers in tort matters, litigated real property and business/contractual cases and specialized in handling all types of probate matters. Attorneys who have appeared before Judge Conway comment that he has an insightful approach, courteous demeanor and wealth of experience. They agree that those qualities combined with his excellent listening skills will be instrumental in his successful transition to resolving cases in the private sector. One attorney commented “I wouldn't have bet even $1 that the case would settle. Frankly, I thought he was a miracle worker.” After working with Judge Conway in a mediation for a case where the liability and damages were in dispute, another attorney commented, “He is a real straight shooter, he is concise and focused, yet has a warm and engaging personality. I felt comfortable right away sharing the weaknesses of my case which ultimately led to settlement.”
LEGAL CAREER & PRIOR EXPERIENCE
- Judge, Superior Court, County of Los Angeles (1987-2007)
- Supervising Judge, Southeast District (1994-95, 2002-03)
- Former Member, Executive and Personnel and Budget Committees Judge, Long Beach Judicial District (1986-87)
- Partner, Vandenberg, Nott, Conway & Newell (Formerly Winston & Winston), areas of practice included general civil litigation, probate, tax work, real estate and business contracts (1967-86)
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- J.D. University of Southern California, Los Angeles (1966)
- B.A., Political Science Occidental College, Los Angeles (1963)
- Pepperdine University, School of Law - Straus Institute of Dispute Resolution, Mediation Training (2005)
- Member, California Judges Association (Former Member, Ethics Committee)
- Member, Joseph Ball/Clarence Hunt Inns of Court (Former Member, Executive Committee)
- Member, Long Beach Bar Association Scholarship Committee
ADR EXPERIENCE & SPECIALTIES
- Business Contracts
- Medical and Professional Malpractice
- Personal Injury
- Real Property Matters
ACHIEVEMENTS & AWARDS
- Judge Conway has been awarded “Judge of the Year” three times over the course of his career by organizations such as the Whittier Bar Association (2002) and the Southeast Bar Association (2003 & 1990).
- He was also awarded “Outstanding Member” by the Long Beach Exchange Club and a Certificate of Appreciation from the Long Beach Heart Association.
HOBBIES & INTERESTS
In his free time, Judge Conway enjoys golf, traveling, working in his garden and going to USC football games.