View our Full-Service Facilities
Hon. Marvin D. Rowen, Ret.
|Drawing upon his 22 years of trial practice as a civil law litigator, more than 15 years as a Superior Court Judge, and honored for his judicial competence and remarkable conflict resolution skills, Judge Marvin D. Rowen now serves the legal community as an Arbitrator, Mediator, Discovery Referee and Private Judge. He brings a lifetime of legal knowledge and judicial experience to the table in a variety of matters ranging from real property and construction claims disputes to commercial and corporate litigation. Lawyers who have worked with Judge Rowen, both in his capacity as a Superior Court Judge and as a Neutral, have often commented about his knowledge, experience, pleasant demeanor, and ability to communicate with clients in a positive and persuasive manner. One attorney said, “I select Judge Rowen on cases involving challenging legal and damages issues. He will work into the night with all parties to get a resolution.”
LEGAL CAREER & PRIOR EXPERIENCE
- Judge of the Los Angeles Superior Court (1985-00)
- Justice Pro Tempore, California Court of Appeal, 2nd District (1986, 1989)
- Senior Litigation Partner; Levinson, Rowen, Miller & Jacobs (1964-84)
- Insurance Defense Associate; Wyman, Finnell & Rothman (1962-64)
- Senior Trial Attorney; Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office (1957-62)
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- LL.B., J.D., University of California, Los Angeles, School of Law, (1956)
- B.S., (Business Administration) University of California, Los Angeles, (1953)
- Certified Mediator, National Judicial College, University of Nevada, Reno, (1999)
- Economic Institute for State Court Judges, University of Kansas, (1999, 2000)
- California Judicial College, University of California, Berkeley (1985)
- Member, California State Bar (1957-Prresent)
- Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association (1957-Present)
- Member, San Fernando Valley Bar Association (2000-Present)
- Member, California Judge’s Association (1985-Present)
ADR EXPERIENCE & SPECIALTIES
- Real Property Disputes
- Construction Defect Claims
- Complex Business/Commercial
- Corporate & Employment Law
- Environment (air, soil and water)
- Professional Malpractice
- Product Liability
- All types of Personal Injury matters
ACHIEVEMENTS & AWARDS
- Author: CJER Journal (1990), Construction Law Anthology (2001), Verdict Magazine (2003) etc.
- Prominent Lecturer: California Continuing Education of the Bar (CEB) (1991, 1995), Los Angeles Association of Business Trial Lawyers (1993), The Rutter Group (1987), etc.
- 1993 Judicial Officer of the Year, San Fernando Valley Bar Association
- 2006 Humanitarian Award, California Judges Association
- Featured on ABC-TV news magazine program “20/20”
- Honored for judicial competence and settlement skills by the California State Bar, L.A. County Board of Supervisors, L.A. City Council, California State Assembly, California State Senate etc.
HOBBIES & INTERESTS
Away from the law, Judge Rowen, who did his military service with the U.S. Marine Corps, enjoys sports, opera and travel.
- Los Angeles County
- Ventura/Santa Barbara/San Luis Obispo Counties