View our Full-Service Facilities
Thomas E. Sharkey, Esq.
|Thomas Sharkey began his ADR career in 1989 while still an active litigator and leader of his firm. As a well known and respected lawyer for over 40 years, he has handled a wide variety of cases in State and Federal Court. He has tried hundreds of cases representing both plaintiffs and defendants in many legal areas including personal injury, products liability, insurance coverage and bad faith, employment, securities, aviation and business/commercial matters. Since 2000, Mr. Sharkey has focused his practice exclusively on mediation, arbitration and private judging matters. Our clients comment on his professional, yet polite, easy going manner and his outstanding legal accomplishments. Many point out that the skills he portrayed as a trial lawyer are the reasons they frequently seek him out as a neutral. One attorney commented, "He is one of the most respected former trial lawyers and neutrals in San Diego." Another attorney said, “He handled the mediation involving a tragic case with sensitivity to both sides and where there was no real winner, Tom worked tirelessly and helped fashion a result that will save the parties from arduous, time-consuming and costly litigation.
LEGAL CAREER & PRIOR EXPERIENCE
- Full-time Mediator, Arbitrator and Private Judge (2000-Present)
- Adjunct Professor, University of San Diego School of Law (1969-73)
- Adjunct Professor, Thomas Jefferson School of Law (Western States) (1990-91)
- Higgs, Fletcher & Mack, Special Counsel (1999-00)
- McInnis, Fitzgerald, Rees & Sharkey, Senior Partner (1968-99), 90% Defense and 10% Plaintiff
- Hewitt, Klitgaard, McMahon & Sharkey, Business Litigation and plaintiff’s personal injury (1963-68)
- Dattan, Peterson & Sharkey, Business Litigation and plaintiff’s personal injury (1960-63)
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- J.D., University of San Diego School of Law, Suma cum Laude (1959)
- B.S., San Diego State University, Business/Economics (1954)
- Pepperdine University, School of Law - Strauss Institute for Dispute Resolution, Advanced Mediation Workshop & Mediating the Litigated Case
- Member, American, California and San Diego Bar Associations
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Master, Enright Inn of Court (Member, Board of Directors 2000-Present)
- Advocate, American Board of Trial Advocates, Board of Directors (2000-Present)
- Consumer Attorneys of San Diego (President 1963)
- Lawyer-Pilot Bar Association
- San Diego and Southern California Defense Lawyers Association
- Southern California Defense Lawyers Association
- Licensed California Real Estate Broker
ADR EXPERIENCE & SPECIALTIES
- Personal Injury
- Products Liability
- Professional Malpractice
- Insurance Coverage and Bad Faith
- Business/Commercial Matters
- Real Property
ACHIEVEMENTS & AWARDS
- Mr. Sharkey has been awarded numerous honors including the Daniel T. Broderick III Memorial Award for Civility, Integrity & Professionalism (1990) and the Distinguished Alumnus Award from the University of San Diego School of Law (1978).
- Additionally, he was the recipient of the San Diego Defense Lawyer Award of Recognition in 1987.
- Also, Mr. Sharkey was listed in the distinguished Who’s Who in 1998 and The Best Lawyers in America.
HOBBIES & INTERESTS
Mr. Sharkey is a licensed instrument rated pilot and enjoys biking and reading in his spare time.
- All of Southern California