Hon. Tomar Mason, Ret.
Retired Superior Court Judge
|On December 31, 2011, Tomar Mason retired from the San Francisco Superior Court after more than 21 years of service. She is now available for mediations, arbitrations and all private judging assignments.
During her time on the bench she served in many capacities. Among the most notable achievements are her development of e-filing and e-service for asbestos cases. She also served as Asbestos Committee Chair, and worked to expand pre-trial services.
"Judge Mason is an incredibly hardworking judge. She is tough, fair and knows how to effectively get a case resolved," said one attorney. Another said, "she is even-handed with a pleasant judicial temperament and ran an organized courtroom where civility was key."
LEGAL CAREER & PRIOR EXPERIENCE
- Judge, San Francisco Superior Court, (1998-2011)
- Judge, San Francisco Municipal Court (1990-1998), Presiding Judge (1996-1997)
- Deputy Attorney General, California (1987-1990)
- Deputy District Attorney, Santa Clara County (1987)
- Deputy District Counsel, Santa Clara County (1986-1987)
- Deputy District Attorney, Fresno County (1978-1986)
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- J.D. UCLA School of Law (1977)
- B.A. Michigan State University
- International Association of Women Judges (1991-present)
- National Association of Women Judges (1990-present)
- American Correctional Association (1986-present)
- Queen's Bench Bar Association (1988-present)
ACHIEVEMENTS & AWARDS
- Judge Mason was a founding member and President of the California Association of Drug Court Professionals.
- She served as the Vice President and Trustee of the Pretrial Resources Center.
- She is also a member of the Youth Law Center's Board of Directors.
HOBBIES & INTERESTS
Judge Mason still continues to spend time with the San Francisco Mentor Court Program. In her spare time, she enjoys running, dancing (ballet & jazz), ikebana, and biking.