View our Full-Service Facilities
Hon. William Sheffield, Ret.
|Since 1993 Judge Sheffield has been a full-time Neutral and has conducted over 5000 arbitrations and mediations. While distinguishing himself as a noted speaker on Alternative Dispute Resolution domestically and internationally, he serves as an Arbitrator, Mediator, Discovery Referee and Private Judge on cases involving Catastrophic Injury, Construction Defect, Toxic Mold, Business Contracts, Insurance Coverage, Entertainment and all types of Employment/Workplace disputes. Judge Sheffield enjoys the challenge of settling difficult and complex cases, especially those requiring energy, tenacity and creativity. In 2002, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009 & 2010 he was selected by the Daily Journal as one of California's Top Neutrals. As an Arbitrator, our clients, both plaintiffs and defendants, respect Judge Sheffield’s superior intelligence and insight, his independent approach to making difficult, tough calls and his unique insight into the credibility of witnesses. As a Mediator, he is widely commended by counsel for his innovative solutions in resolving disputes, his exceptional patience, his especially sensitive manner with clients and his ability to settle even the most difficult cases. “For cases I absolutely must settle, I trust Judge Sheffield over anyone,” one client remarked—many others concur.
LEGAL CAREER & PRIOR EXPERIENCE
- Associate Justice, Court of Appeal, assigned by Chief Justice of California (1984)
- Judge, Superior Court of California, Orange County (1983-84)
- Private Practice: sole practitioner, trial attorney, emphasizing Complex Civil Matters, Business, Personal Injury and Real Property (1972-83)
- General Counsel (Orient): Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (1987-89)
- Former Instructor in Law, Western State University, Fullerton
- ADR Consultant to the Government of India (1993-97)
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- M.A.R., Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut (1987)
- J.D., University of California at Berkeley, Boalt Hall (1971)
- B.A. (Philosophy), California State University at Long Beach (1968)
- Member, American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Law section
- Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association, Intellectual Property & Entertainment Law sections
- Member, Century City Bar Association, Entertainment Law section
- Member, California State Bar, Intellectual Property Law section
- Member, National Association of Television Program Executives
ADR EXPERIENCE & SPECIALTIES
- Personal Injury
- Real Property
- Insurance Coverage/Bad Faith
- Complex Business
- Commercial Disputes
ACHIEVEMENTS & AWARDS
- Judge Sheffield is AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
- He was also ranked among the "Best Lawyers in America" in both 2006 & 2007 (www.bestlawyers.com).
- Judge Sheffield was selected as a "Top Neutral in the State" by the Daily Journal in 2002, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009 & 2010.
HOBBIES & INTERESTS
In his free time, Judge Sheffield enjoys traveling, racquetball, photography and being an author and inventor.