View our Full-Service Facilities
Hon. Mitchel R. Goldberg, Ret.
Retired Federal Bankruptcy Judge
|After 20 years of service, Judge Goldberg retired from the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, 9th Circuit, Central District of California, where he handled all types of bankruptcy related issues including but not limited to class actions involving multiple insurance coverage issues, complex commercial matters involving real estate, banking/lending, title insurance, collateralized debt obligations, securities, patent and copyright issues. On the bench, Judge Goldberg earned a reputation with both the bench and the bar as the “go-to” guy for mediation of all bankruptcy related matters. During the year since his retirement, he utilized his people skills exploring new avenues of service such as hospice care, teaching and working with children. All the while his passion for mediation has remained front and center so much so that it led to him teaching an advanced course in mediation. He found it so invigorating, he ultimately decided to serve the community as a private mediator. Judge Goldberg has been a featured speaker about bankruptcy, transportation, real estate and family law, plus mediation and effective communication skills. He was a panel speaker at the International Conference of Judges sponsored by World Bank and Pepperdine University at which over 40 nations were present. Many of our clients who have worked with Judge Goldberg over the years have commented that although their experience with him as a mediator was through the bankruptcy court, his skills are obvious to all and translate well into all other areas of civil litigation. One noted, “He is simply an excellent mediator.”
- This neutral is available only for cases involving Mediation.
LEGAL CAREER & PRIOR EXPERIENCE
- Adjunct Professor, Pepperdine University School of Law – Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution (Summer, 2009)
- Judge, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, 9th Circuit, Central District of California, Riverside Division (1988-2008)
- Private Law Practice, Mitchel R. Goldberg, APC (1981-88) specializing in family law, personal injury, real estate, commercial litigation, bankruptcy and creditors rights
- Partner, Rosen & Goldberg, APC (1976-81) specializing in family law, personal injury, real estate, commercial litigation
- Associate, Stanley Rosen, APC (1971-76) specializing in family law, personal injury, real estate, commercial litigation
- Captain, U.S. Army (1969-70)
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- Advanced Mediation Certificate, Pepperdine University – Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution (2009)
- J.D., University of Colorado (1968)
- B.A., University of Colorado (1965)
- Board of Trustees, Temple Beth Tikvah, Fullerton (1992-Present)
- President, Temple Beth Tikvah, Fullerton (1989-91)
- Board of Directors, Temple Beth Tikvah, Fullerton (1984-06)
- Board of Directors, United Way of Orange County (1975-81)
- Chair, Council of Agencies, United Way of Orange County (1977-79)
- Board of Directors & President, Jewish Family Services (1971-76)
- Inland Empire Bankruptcy Forum (1990-Present)
ADR EXPERIENCE & SPECIALTIES
- All bankruptcy/insolvency related matters
- Class action
- Family law
- Complex business/commercial disputes including securities, banking/lending, mortgage foreclosure/title insurance, real estate, collateral debt obligations, patent and copyrights
ACHIEVEMENTS & AWARDS
- Judge Goldberg has been a guest speaker for OCBA & OC School Board. He has frequently been requested and selected as a guest lecturer in various legal forums on topics related to bankruptcy issues, family law, real estate and alternative dispute resolution.
HOBBIES & INTERESTS
Judge Goldberg enjoys golf, travel, Talmudic study and lecturing. He is a hospice volunteer and teacher's aide/storyteller for preschool and kindergarten. He is a “Project Legacy” Trustee for Temple Beth Tikvah, which is working to build a religious school for Temple Beth Tikvah. Judge Goldberg is also working with the non-profit “Springboard” towards adult education programs for post-bankruptcy and money management.