View our Full-Service Facilities
Michael J. Ney, Esq.
|In 2011, after 35 years as a trial attorney where he tried over 50 jury trials and many bench trials and arbitrations, Mr. Ney has recently converted his practice to full time dispute resolution serving as a mediator, arbitrator and discovery referee. While practicing law, Mr. Ney represented both plaintiff and defendants, handling a wide variety of cases such as personal injury, construction, business/commercial and professional negligence. In addition, he also did some family law. As a mediator and arbitrator, he handles disputes across many specialty areas including serious/catastrophic injury and wrongful death matters, product liability, medical and legal malpractice, employment disputes, business/commercial disputes, estate planning, probate, family law, construction defect and real property disputes, including agent and broker negligence, along with landslide and soil subsidence. One attorney commented of Mr. Ney, "the case settled only because the attorneys and the insurance adjuster could not ignore the very significant input of such a seasoned litigator. That takes both skill and charm to get them to see what they are missing!"
- This neutral is available only for cases involving Mediation.
LEGAL CAREER & PRIOR EXPERIENCE
- Partner, McNamara, Ney, Beatty, Slattery, Borges & Ambacher LLP (1980-2011)
- Attorney, Helzel, Leighton, Brunn & Deal (1973-1974)
- Attorney, Alameda County District Attorney’s office (1972)
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- J.D John F. Kennedy School of Law (1971)
- B.S.C. Santa Clara University (1965)
- CAL-ABOTA Board of Directors (2010-present)
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) President – San Francisco Chapter (‘09) (since 1993)
- American College of Trial Lawyers (ADR Committee) (since 2005)
- International Society of Barristers (since 2006)
- Northern California Association of Defense Counsel (since 1981); Board member (1988-1990)
- Judge Pro Tem – Contra Costa County
- Deputy District Attorney of Alameda County (1972-1973)
- Contra Costa County Bar Fund Chairman (2006)
ADR EXPERIENCE & SPECIALTIES
- Personal Injury
- Construction Defect
- Landslide and Soil Subsidence
- Business Disputes,
- Medical Negligence
- Legal Negligence
- Product Liability
- Real Estate Disputes
- Agents and Broker Negligence
- Wrongful Death Claims
- Employment Disputes
ACHIEVEMENTS & AWARDS
- Mr. Ney has been listed as a Northern California ‘Super Lawyer’ every year since 2004 in the ADR category and in 2007 was listed in Best Lawyers in America. He has participated as a guest speaker on programs sponsored by both the Consumer Attorney’s association and the Defense Counsel and has been part of mock trial teams in programs sponsored by the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) and Contra Costa County. In 2009, Michael was listed as a top 100 attorney in Northern California by the San Francisco Magazine and was listed by East Bay Magazine as among the top 95 Best Lawyers. He is AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell (since 1982) and was the recipient of the John F. Kennedy University Law School Laureate (2007).
HOBBIES & INTERESTS
In his free time, Mr. Ney enjoys traveling and exercise.