View our Full-Service Facilities
Hon. Russell Bostrom, Ret.
|Judge Bostrom retired from the bench in 1990. After teaching evidence and tort law for 3 years, he entered into the Dispute Resolution Profession. Since that time, Judge Bostrom has become one of the most requested mediators in the state. Beginning in 2002, when the Daily Journal began listing California's Top Neutrals, and every subsequent year, Judge Bostrom has been included in this select group. For the first 12 years as a Neutral, he was selected by many as an Arbitrator. Known for his clear analytical mind, detailed decision writing skills and easy going personality, he has presided over 2,500 Binding Arbitrations. Since 2002, he dedicated his practice to mediation and since successfully mediated over 6,000 complex and challenging cases in every area of Civil Litigation. Many attorneys have commented on the range of qualities that make Judge Bostrom a consistently effective mediator. Some attorneys said it is his breadth of trial experience, as he has tried over 80 jury trials to verdict, on behalf of both Defendants and Plaintiffs. Others say his years as a trial judge give him greater credibility with their clients. Many claim his sense of timing and persistent energy account for his remarkable success. All agreed his knowledge of the law, coupled with an unerring sense of fairness and intuitive sense of people, makes him one of the most effective and sought after mediators in the industry.
- This neutral is available only for cases involving Mediation.
LEGAL CAREER & PRIOR EXPERIENCE
- Full-time Mediator (1993-Present)
- Associate Professor of Law, Evidence, Irvine, CA (1991-93)
- Judge, Harbor Municipal Court (1983-91); Presiding Judge, (1987-88)
- Superior Court, Orange County, Civil Law & Motion Department on Assignment by California Supreme Court (1983-84)
- Partner, Bostrom & Hobart, Specializing in Litigation, Irvine, CA (1976-83)
- Deputy Public Defender, County of Orange, CA (1974-76)
- Deputy City Attorney, City of Anaheim, CA (1973-74)
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- J.D., Loyola University School of Law (1972)
- B.S., University of Maryland (1968)
- Society of Professionals in Dispute Resolution (1997-Present)
- Charter Member, Southern California Mediation Society (1993-Present)
- Pepperdine Law School, Mediation Training (1992)
- American Arbitration Association, Commercial Panel (1992)
- Lifetime Member, California Women Lawyers (1989-Present)
- California Judges Association (1983-Present)
- President, Newport Harbor Bar Association (1978-79)
ADR EXPERIENCE & SPECIALTIES
- Complex Commercial
- Class Action/Mass Tort
- Products Liability
- Intellectual Property
- Insurance Coverage/Bad Faith and all types of Personal Injury including Catastrophic Injury/Wrongful Death
ACHIEVEMENTS & AWARDS
- Judge Bostrom was selected as one of Daily Journal's Top Neutral every year since its inception in 2002.
- Additionally, he is a pilot and aircraft owner.
HOBBIES & INTERESTS
In his spare time, he is an avid Aviation enthusiast.