View our Full-Service Facilities
Hon. Alice D. Sullivan, Ret.
|Appointed to the Superior Court in Alameda County in 1981, Judge Sullivan served on the bench for eight years before retiring to France. She relocated to San Diego. After serving the San Diego Superior Court for three years as an assigned Judge she focused her career on private judging on a full time basis. Since 1992 she has enjoyed great success as a mediator, arbitrator and referee/special master specializing business and commercial matters with an emphasis on licensing, international commerce and intellectual property. In the last ten years she has successfully mediated over 1000 cases. Judge Sullivan is well liked and considered fair by both bars. One defense lawyer once even said “she is fair to a fault.” As a mediator she is said to have a soft touch, “she steers and suggests but doesn’t bully” is one comment we have heard. Another attorney commented, "I was impressed with her tenacity in keeping the adversaries moving on a convergent path without breaching any confidential information."
LEGAL CAREER & PRIOR EXPERIENCE
- Judge, Superior Court, San Diego County (1989-92)
- Judge, Superior Court, Alameda County (1981-89)
- Deputy District Attorney, Alameda County (1973-81)
- Staff Counsel, U. S. Dept. of Housing and Urban Development, Boston, MA (1970-72)
- Research Attorney, Court of Appeal, First Appellate Dist., San Francisco, CA (1969-70)
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- J.D., Santa Clara University School of Law (1969)
- B. A., Economics, San Diego State University (1966)
- California Judges Association, Board Member
- National Association of Women Judges, Board Member
- California Judges Association, Ethics Committee
- Scripps Research Institute, Board Member
- Kids Included Together (KIT), Board Member
- Member, President’s Council, San Diego State University
- Master, The American Inns of Court, Clifford Wallace Chapter, San Diego
- Limited Partner, Mission Ventures, a partnership in San Diego
- Neutral for International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR), World Intellectual Property Assocation (WIPO), Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (London), International Chamber of Commerce, and Western Sweden Chamber of Commerce
ADR EXPERIENCE & SPECIALTIES
- Business Contractual
- Intellectual Property
- Personal Injury
ACHIEVEMENTS & AWARDS
- Judge Sullivan has been the recipient of many honors including the 1990 Pro Bono Award from the San Diego County Bar Association
- She has also been selected as a Panelist for Rutter Group "Settling Personal Injury Cases, Internet Law, and Arbitrating commercial cases."
- Additionally, Judge Sullivan has been a lecturer for many CEB and CJER programs on various topics including Mediating Intellectual Property cases and Employment Law update.
HOBBIES & INTERESTS
In her spare time, Judge Sullivan is intrigued with the internet and enjoys beach volleyball, travel, skiing and hiking.