Following 48 years as a successful civil jury trial lawyer, Gerald pursued a career as a full-time neutral. He mediated more than 150 cases, as well as engaged in countless settlement conferences. He started and managed a voluntary settlement program for the Torrance Superior Court and served as a settlement officer for dozens of litigated cases. Previously, he was the co-founder and partner at a prestigious personal injury firm in Torrance, CA . He obtained well over 100 verdicts, judgments, and awards in every type of personal injury case, including wrongful death, elder abuse, and medical malpractice.
Gerald has received countless accolades, awarded “Trial Lawyer of the Year” by multiple organizations, and has been consistently recognized as a Southern California Super Lawyer. He has also served on the board of many legal organizations and is an ABOTA member.
Gerald brings a wealth of knowledge to Judicate West, and states “I have an ethic for hard work; a need for thorough preparation; a compelling willingness to listen; and patience. These tools, coupled with my extensive legal and life experiences, are the foundation for the successful mediation of the litigated case.”
- All types of Personal Injury including Bicycle Accidents and Wrongful Death
- Elder Abuse
- Medical Malpractice
- Product Liability
Gerald is an avid cyclist and competes at the Masters Level in Velodrome (track) racing and has multiple State, National, and World Championships and National records. He also enjoys mountain biking and backpacking in the Eastern Sierras. Passionate about giving back to the community, he and his former law partner awarded more than 500 scholarships over 30 years to deserving high school seniors entering community college. Most of all, he loves spending time with his family - his wife, seven children, and seven grandchildren.
- Full-time Neutral, Judicate West (2023-Present)
- Settlement Officer and Pro Bono Arbitrator, Torrance Superior Court; Started and managed a voluntary settlement program (1980s and 1990s)
- Co-Founder and Partner, Agnew Brusavich (1984-2023)
- Partner, Greene, O’Reilly, Agnew and Broillet (1975-1984)
- Attorney, Morgan Wenzel and McNicholas (1974-1975)
- J.D., Southwestern University School of Law (1974)
- B.S., Woodbury University (1971)
- Mediation Course, Strauss Institute for Dispute Resolution at Pepperdine University (2021)
- Western Trial Lawyer's Association, Member and Past President (2011-2012)
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers, Fellow (1998)
- CAALA, Member and Past President (1986)
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Diplomate
- CAOC, Member
- South Bay Bar Association, Member and Past President
- American Association for Justice, Member
- Best Lawyers in America for 30 years (1993 – Present)
- Southern California Plaintiff Trial Lawyer of the Year, Verdictum Juris (1990)
- One of California's Most Respective Trial Lawyers, California Lawyer Magazine (1989)
- Trial Lawyer of the Year, CAALA (1979)
- Southern California Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers, Top 10, Top 100
- Alumnus of the Year, Southwestern University School of Law
- Gerry tried hundreds of medical malpractice cases including, but not limited to elder abuse in the SNF and assisted living setting.
- A case regarding brain injuries to a six-month-old from delayed diagnosis of bacterial meningitis.
- Numerous labor and delivery, preterm birth, brain injury, and wrongful death cases.
- A severe back injury arbitration award in a case involving a small plane crash and negligent repair.
- A case due to a failed VBAC and a brain injury. Sanctions were awarded for the alteration of the medical chart.
- A case involving a claim of hospital's negligence in monitoring vital signs, resulting in sepsis and loss of limbs.
- A case involving a claim of ER's negligence, ignoring pain and gibbus deformity, resulting in incomplete paraplegia.
- A case involving a delayed treatment of a kidney stone that lead to sepsis and death.
- A case in which a mother of two died from untreated hyperthyroid resulting in thyrotoxicosis.
- A case involving a baby that had in-utero hydronephrosis. There was a several-day delay in treatment after delivery.
- Several wrongful death elder abuse cases with issues involving feeding tubes, elopement, chemical restraint, physical abuse, and neglect.
- A case involving a minor with head trauma, brain bleeds, and surgery and an elementary school in which complaints of a nine-year-old were ignored and there was proof of a coverup.
- A case in which an unidentified male jumped off a stage at an indoor concert venue adding on a fan and causing a broken neck and tear of the vertebral artery. The claim was for negligent security.
- A case in which a driver of a vehicle was killed when a truck wheel and tire separated from an oncoming pick-up truck and struck her in the head. Negligent installation was claimed during the tire rotation. Metallurgy proved that several lug nuts were not tightened.
- Gerry tried hundreds of vehicle cases including automobiles, motorcycles, big rigs, and pedestrians. He tried and resolved more than 200 bicycle cases, many of which involved catastrophic personal injury and wrongful death.
- A big rig vs. auto vs. motorcycle case involving several facial injuries with unique habit and reconstruction evidence admitted.
- A case in which a cyclist sustained a TBI and a broken neck when rear-ended in a bicycle lane by a motorist changing the radio station.
- A case in which a passenger side mirror struck a lead cyclist in a pace line. Four cyclists crashed with multiple serious personal injuries; Alleged 3-foot rule was violated.
- A case in which an elderly driver making an unlawful turn into a driveway crashed into four cyclists; Multiple orthopedic injuries sustained.
- A case in which an elderly cyclist was hit by a driver looking for a parking spot in a preschool. A femur fracture was sustained resulting in a 2-inch leg shortening.
- A case in which a hit-and-run pick-up truck killed an elderly cyclist. An investigation identified the driver who was uninsured.
- A case in which a motorcyclist was struck by a rideshare vehicle. Injuries sustained included a broken hip and multiple pelvic fractures.
- A case in which a warehouse worker sustained a leg injury caused by a forklift driver, and evidence that the security video was altered.
- A case involving scalding injuries from a shower in a Colorado motel that included claims of scarring and exacerbation of Parkinson's disease.
- Gerry tried numerous product liability cases including auto, aircraft, industrial and factory machinery and equipment, and consumer products.
- A case in which a construction worker was killed by a defective forklift assembly.
- A case involving facial injuries and loss of an eye from a defective airbag.
- A case involving burns to a welder caused by a defective quick-start canister.
- A case involving carbon monoxide poisoning, fear of a fetal injury, and elective abortion.