Judge Crandall has had a distinguished career spanning over five decades, with the last decade serving on the Orange County Superior Court. Before his appointment to the bench, he spent a significant portion of his litigation practice focused on insurance defense. He was a partner at a law firm before founding his own practice, where he represented both plaintiffs and defendants.
Having tried 164 cases to verdict, his trial experience and reputation for excellence earned him the prestigious rank of Diplomate with the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA).
Recognized for his integrity, compassion, and civility, Judge Crandall received ABOTA’s George Francis Judicial Civility Award in 2017 as well as the Judicial Excellence Award by the Orange County Trial Lawyers Association (OCTLA) in 2023.
He has always been well respected as a judicial officer and known for having thoughtful and detail-oriented rulings. As a scholar of the law and a seasoned legal professional, he is an exceptional addition to the private sector.
- Insurance Bad Faith
- Lemon Law
- Medical Negligence
- Personal Injury Including Sexual Assault and Wrongful Death
- Product Liability
- Real Estate Including Homeowners Association Law
Judge Crandall stays active and competes in track and field events in the Masters division. He also enjoys flying airplanes and is an instrument-rated pilot. He especially loves spending time with his family; he and his wife have 7 children and 16 grandchildren.
- Full-time Neutral, Judicate West (2023-Present)
- Judge, Orange County Superior Court (2012-2023); Served on the Central Panel (2014-2016) and the Civil Panel (2017-2023)
- Founding Partner, Crandall, Wade & Lowe (1976-2012); Defended insurance companies in excess liability and bad faith claims
- Partner, Spray, Gould & Bowers (1971-1976); Specialized in Insurance Defense
- J.D., Loyola Law School (1970)
- B.A., San Jose State (1967)
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), Diplomate
- Orange County Bar Association, Member
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- Judicial Excellence Award, OCTLA (2023)
- George Francis Judicial Civility Award, ABOTA (2017)
- IP and contract dispute over joint development agreement for CBD products
- As a former judicial officer, presided over numerous employment cases, encompassing sexual harassment, hostile work environment, wrongful termination, and ADA accommodation failure
- Dispute between doctor and health care provider involving wrongful termination.
- Dispute between employer and terminated employee regarding alleged embezzlement and kickback scheme
- Trial of alleged bad faith denial of fire loss
- Trial of bad faith claim for denial of life insurance claim
- Trial of alleged bad faith denial of theft coverage
- Trial of alleged bad faith refusal to pay disability insurance benefits
- As a former judicial officer, adjudicated bad faith cases, including alleged bad faith denial regarding auto accident coverage, water damage from a broken pipe, and foundation settling the dispute
- Trial of bad faith denial of disability claim
Professional Malpractice Legal
- Adjudicated dozens of attorney fee disputes and malpractice cases
- Commercial leasing real estate dispute between landlord and Cannabis Company
- Real estate dispute between Homeowner’s Association and Homeowners
- As a former judicial officer, presided over numerous civil real estate cases, including HOA issues, condo elections, property line disputes, neighbor altercations, tree cases, fence disputes, and view disputes
- Dog bite case involving a young child
- Slip and fall case brought by a tenant against the landlord
- As a judicial officer, presided over numerous personal injury cases, including auto accidents, medical negligence, dental malpractice, and slip and fall
- Car accident case involving severe brain injury